Sunday, April 08, 2012

baler

It's been a while since I've written anything here because I spent last term revising my thesis over and over, that I got too lazy to write anything at all. A lot has happened throughout the latter part of that term, and in as much as I wanted to write something about some events, I just couldn't get myself to write a decent post. But now that I see that my to do list has cleared (temporarily) and I've taken a break from being forced to write, I am finally ready to post again. 

THE FIRST OF SUMMER: BALER
Just a few days ago, my family was very lucky to have been invited by a family friend to their province. The invitation came with a very convenient transportation and accommodation deal, new friends, and the best of Baler. All I looked forward to in the trip was the surfing and eating (which was heavenly, really), but it came with other exciting activities, such as a tour (to Ermita hill, Digisit, House of Donya Aurora, a chapel, and the oldest Balete tree), lunch at the private cove of the Angara's with Senator Angara, dinner with Governor Angara, and a visit to the house of the governor. It was amazing! Here's a little walk through the trip.

Took a bus ride to Baler with the host family and their friends. Left at 4:30 AM and arrived at around 11 AM. 

Where we stayed. The name of the resort is Bahia (owned by one of the members of the Angara family). This part of the resort was suppose to be a house, but since no one stayed in it, they made it part of the Bahia resort (this part only has 4 rooms). It was nice, comfortable and clean, and had unlimited wifi + ok service (service in the province is really slow, but the resort service was actually okay).

Bay's Inn. Where we had most of our meals because it was accessible from our place, had boards for rent, and of course, delicious food! A photo of their famous crispy pata. 
Surfing on the first day was good! It was my second surfing experience so I struggled a bit. Halfway through our surf time everything started going smoothly, and I was able to get some good rides. It was a short first surf because we had to head to get ready and head to dinner (which took a bit more than two hours to be served. ggaah horrible service at this other resort). 

Day two started out with a tour. Upon getting up in the morning, a van was ready and waiting outside the resort we stayed in. Visited Ermita hill and learned about Baler history, took pictures in Digisit, entered the 600 year old Balete tree and drank some buko, prayed in a chapel, looked around the house of Donya Aurora, and learned more history at the Museum. All this under the scorching heat, moving around in an old van that might as well have been aircon-less. It was extremely hot, but all worth it! Headed to Gerry's for a P150 "Chinese" buffet (it wasn't all Chinese) and P50 halo-halo, then went for the waves. Now my second surf day.. was a-ma-zing. Got more rides and a better instructor, plus the waves were good and the sun was out the whole day. Extremely drained after, but i absolutely loved every minute of it. From paddling out to getting on the wave to getting wiped out. The feeling is overwhelming! 

Museum
Inside the 600 year old Balete tree 
By the Mangroves of the port.
Day three, our last full day at Baler, started out with a ride to the private cove of the Angara family for our lunch with the Senator. It was beautiful. Here's a photo of the beach area.

Private Cove of the Angara family where we spent the whole morning of day three.

A private beach all to ourselves, the sun, and no signal. The ultimate getaway from the city! Unfortunately it was too dangerous to swim in the ocean because the current was too strong, so we settled for the cold, clear water flowing from the stream. Annng sarap. My siblings and I spent the morning just chilling under the sun and lying by the stream, while the rest of the group sipped on some buko juice by the house or climbed the light house (right part of the photo on top of the mountain).

While at the cove, we were also brought to the artists village where we found a beautiful hidden house. If i'm not mistaken, artists go to this place to work or display their works. Such a lovely open house located within the woods, with the view of mountains. So peaceful!

More pictures inside the house on FB
After the cove was our last surf. My siblings and I spent two hours in the water--our first hour practically wasted waiting for waves. It was a long, tiring wait, paddling our way through the strong current to try and catch the little waves that did come. It was exhausting and I wanted to end. But thinking that it was our last surf for the trip, my siblings and I decided to wait it out. When the second hour came, so did the waves, and we surfed till the sun was almost gone. It was absolute happy happy happiness.

Our last night was spent with the governor of Baler, and the morning after was the visit to her house. We took our last photos, then headed back to Manila.

It was a good four days in this province. Eating the food of Baler, walking the streets of Baler, learning the history of Baler, and surfing the waves of Baler made for an interesting and fun, yet tiring way to begin this summer. It was such a great second surfing experience for me, and I'm really hoping that I'll be able to have a third sometime this summer. Aside from the good surf, I am extremely glad to have been able to go with the family that hosted the trip, because if not for them, then I don't think the trip would've been as fun and interesting as it was. Thank you tito Dino and tita Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment